Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Power of a Word

It is said that words have powerful energy attached to them. They can shift the power of the world. People hear them, and take them in, process it, and determine how they will react, or respond. Internally, we have the power to choose our thoughts (which are really just words) and to exercise choice in if it will be a positive or negative thought.
A Course In Miracles says "You may believe that you are responsible for what you do, but not for what you think, because it is only at this level that you can exercise choice. What you do comes from that you think."
That brings me to share with you my "word" for the year. Every year I choose a word that will reflect the next year, the next chapter of my life. Only that isn't quite true.  The word actually chooses me. Maybe it's my higher self that whispers it into my ear. Maybe it's a word that stops me in my tracks, and I know it's mine to use.
This year the word morphed into two words. The first word is Metamorphosis.
met·a·mor·pho·sis  (mt-môrf-ss)
n. pl. met·a·mor·pho·ses (-sz)
1. A transformation, as by magic or sorcery.
2. A marked change in appearance, character, condition, or function.

One of the many varieties of butterflies that visited our butterfly bush this past summer.

The second word that came to me from saying Metamorphosis over and over. I heard the whisper in my ear: "Metta, metta, metta! Metta? The Metta website shared this: The Pali word metta is a multi-significant term meaning loving-kindness, friendliness, goodwill, benevolence, fellowship, amity, concord, inoffensiveness and non-violence. The Pali commentators define metta as the strong wish for the welfare and happiness of others(parahita-parasukha-kamana). Essentially metta is an altruistic attitude of love and friendliness as distinguished from mere amiability based on self-interest. Through metta one refuses to be offensive and renounces bitterness, resentment and animosity of every kind, developing instead a mind of friendliness, accommodativeness and benevolence which seeks the well-being and happiness of others. True metta is devoid of self-interest. It evokes within a warm-hearted feeling of fellowship, sympathy and love, which grows boundless with practice and overcomes all social, religious, racial, political and economic barriers. Metta is indeed a universal, unselfish and all-embracing love.

Whoa. That's a lot to digest. So, basically I'm going to transform myself into a new and better version of me, as well as being as loving as possible. Time to step out of Fear: (False Evidence Appearing Real), and live my truth to the best of my ability. Let's see what happens, shall we? 

The power of a word. It changes lives. It's all in how you look at it. "My thoughts are images that I have made" ~ A Course in Miracles. 
Do you have a word? Would you be willing to share? 


Here's my post for my 2011 word: "Reflections of a Year Gone By" 

No comments:

Post a Comment