Thursday, February 3, 2011

Excavating our beauty-full selves.

They say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But what does that mean? If I didn't know better I might think that it's what other people think that define what's beautiful. But it's not. At least not in my interpretation anyway. To me it means that everyone defines beauty in their own way, and other people's opinions on YOUR beauty really doesn't matter.

I long for the day when women stop being critical of themselves. One can't get past point A if they are obsessing over how to take that first step to B. Women are beautiful. Truly. Look at her eyes. Look at her smile. Look at her hands. Look at her heart. What makes her tick? Does it matter, the shell that encases this lovely woman? She who is succulent, sexy, strong. If she isn't, then we need to lift her up and show her that she is until she herself believes it.

When I lived out in Washington I took an 18 month women's wisdom course from my dear mentor and friend Jayna Gieber. Every woman that attended was on a personal journey to know themselves. We reached down through our layers, through our hard places, to find ourselves, to love ourselves, and to be dedicated to make a conscious effort to bring about change in a positive way. I fell in love with each and every woman there, and they will always be my life long "Spirit Sisters".

Now that I live in Pennsylvania, I am meeting scores of women that tell me they need this sort of offering, and so far I have not been able to find anyone that is offering it. There's the old saying "If it's to be, it's up to me". So, I am going to offer to facilitate a woman's group. It won't be like Jayna's because authentically I can't duplicate it. But I want to create the same sense of belonging, the same end goal for a woman to truly know themselves  spiritually, physically, and emotionally.

I want to play, journal, sing, dance, learn from others, and create with others. I want to help women to peel back their own layers and know their beauty.
So that's what I am going to do. a 12 month dedication to ourselves. To other women. To create a circle of women, a sisterhood if you will.
If you are reading this and are from PGH, please consider it. I would like to start on the weekend of the Spring Equinox.
If this is something that you might be interested, please send me an email to Rev.Dina@soulfulcommitment.com and let me know. I will add you to a small group mailing list and send you the details.
Beauty is within all of us. We just have to wake up to see it.

 "I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young. They're still princesses. All of us."~ Sarah Crewe from A Little Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment