Friday, October 2, 2009

What do you Love?

As part of my wedding ceremonies, I include a special piece that is always the couple's favorites. It was given by permission from the wise woman who ordained me as a Minister, and Married my husband and me.
I ask each of the couples individually "What do you love most about your fiance?" And the answers I get are incredibly interesting. Sometimes I laugh, because it's adorable, and sometimes I get all choked up, but I always respect their words, thoughts, and beliefs. This, shows me the deep insides of their relationship. Their respect for each other. It is truly beautiful.

It shows me the differences in men and women, and how they think. It shows me where the couple is aligned, and where they are totally different from each other, somehow making it work.
Often, I share these Love stories with my husband, who doesn't say much in response, other than to chuckle, or say "Awesome". But it is enough. I remember the things that he loves about me shared with me in our marriage ceremony, and I was so touched that this incredibly private man of mine, would feel comfortable about opening his soul and sharing it with someone he didn't know. (Our Minister).

So I am going to share with you a few totally abstract couples, and show you what I mean:
Couple 1:
Groom's email to me:

Hi Rev. Dina,

I am soooooo excited about being with Bride for the rest of my life. She truly has filled my life with true happiness, unforgettable memories, and a sense of peace and certainty.

There are like way more than 5 things and it is really hard to bring it down to five. But here goes...

I love her caring nature and her love for the world around her, especially wiggly worms.
I love the beauty of her dimply smiles and the giggles which accompany them.
I love booping her nose followed by a sweet "Simba" across her forehead
I love her delicious taste in music
I love six kisses in the morning and our secret handshake.
I love the calming sound of her heart beating

Sorry that I had a six things (and a couple compound I love yous) but they are all very important.
I CAN'T WAIT!
Thank you so much for being so nice and making this a reality for us. It really means a lot.

Bride:
What I love most about Groom is that he always saves me the slice of pizza with the biggest bubble on the crust. I know that may sound strange but it's an example of how he always thinks of me before himself. I love how he likes to go on adventures with me, play with worms and have ghostsock wars. I love the way he looks into my eyes knowing that I love him as much as he loves me. I also love that in loving him he has made me love myself again. He is the kindest, sweetest, most honest man I have ever met and I am incredibly lucky to have him in my life.

Interesting, huh? But yet you see the silliness, and the almost innocent love that they have for each other.

Now here is the next couple who are about 15-20 years older:
Groom:
Hello Dina,
This is acutally harder than i first thought, trying to put to words what i love about Bride. Bride is the most beautiful woman i have ever seen (she rolls her eyes at me evertime i tell her that) but there is more to her than just physical beauty there is a beauty that is deep down in her soul. You can see it through her eyes. The moment i saw her i knew she was the one i had been searching for. I also knew in that moment that i loved her , i had always loved her.
What i love most about her is her soul. There is a beauty there that is the greatest thing i have ever experienced. Have you ever been just walking along, look up and find yourself in the perfect sunset? That moment of pure beauty. That moment that takes your breath away as you stare it. I get that feeling everytime i see her. I see it when she is asleep on the couch with her head on my shoulder, when she is yelling at the kids or cheering them on in a game. That brightness to her soul comes out through her eyes and brightens my soul. She is a rarity, her inner beauty matches her outer beauty.
I consider myself the luckiest man in the world. She is the best thing to have ever happened. i can only hope that i can make her as happy as she makes me.

And Bride:
Dear Mrs. Rev. Dina
So...I've been staring at this thing for a couple days and I'm not quite sure how to put it into words. Of course, I love the way he hugs/holds me, especially when things aren't going so well, you know, the kind that says things are going to be ok. I love his smile, the sheepish way he grins and winks when I catch him staring at me. But his whole being is what I find so amazing...I can't narrow it down. When I first saw him, looked into his eyes, I knew that he was the other half of my soul and I was in love, that he was the one I've been looking for my entire life. I'm not sure if it was fate or luck t hat brought us together, but I've never felt so complete. We have such an amazing connection...Grrom's been known to complete my thoughts and finish my sentence, and it's totally what I was thinking. I just love HIM : )

TWO incredibly different couples, and I love them both.

Most of my grooms want to write me a book of the thousand things they love about their brides. I SO love that, and I am honored to be a part of their love story, even though Its only for a brief moment. What a blessing it is for me to share these sacred moments with them. LOVE it.

No comments:

Post a Comment