Monday, September 14, 2009

At a Loss 2-28-08

Sometimes I wonder if I write just to "see myself think." Its cathartic, and, often times necessary.

Today was supposed to be a date day with Mr. Wonderhubby. I had to meet a client for a wedding, and then we were going to go to the Home Show. I know, I know, Really exciting. The thing is, It IS exciting. We talk endlessly about the things we want to do to our hollow (non insulated) 105 year old home. We were really hoping that there would be vendors there regarding Solar, Insulation, and anything that was eco and environmentally friendly.

As we were getting ready to go, Glenn received a phone call. We were at Home Depot, to get tickets to the home show, and as he was talking on the phone, I wandered away to look at floor samples for our floor. I was lost to the world of Earth Tone delight tile, when all of a sudden I tuned back into Glenn, when he started saying "Oh my God!" Repeatedly.

Looking into his eyes, I saw devastation, shock, disbelief, and, well my heart dropped.
His coworker's little 12 year old boy had been in a car on his way to a camp trip, when a truck ran through the intersection, and rammed into his car, killing him instantly.

I don't know this child. I have only met Glenn's co worker briefly a few times. But I know that Glenn is very fond of this friend, as well as spoke very highly of this little boy, a gifted child, who made my husband smile when he spoke about him. I also know that, as a mother, I don't think I could handle losing my own child.

Needless to say the day turned somber for both of us. I cried, I prayed for the family, I lit a candle for the little boy who left an empty space in his family.
We can try to justify, saying that it was his time, and he is in a better place. We can say that maybe he had made a contract before he was even born to go through this experience and blah blah blah. The truth is, Right now,it is devastating. It feels horrible. horrible. Everyone who knew this child and/or his parents are all feeling the loss. They are grieving.

I know that my job as a minister is to comfort, to be strong, and to hold the space open for all the things a person who is sad goes through.

Tonight, we lit a candle for this little boy and his family. The candle sits right in front of our Buddha, right inside the heart of the lotus. My children have all thought of prayers and asked for comfort for his family.
May the angels wrap their wings around this family, and may they know that they are loved. May they be comforted in their time of grief, and may their hearts open wider to receive all the empathy, and compassion that is for them. May This little boy's journey to the other side be swift and safe, and may all those that care about his family be mindful and supportive.

Tonight, as I am sad for this family, I will hold my own children closer and know just how precious children are to our world. Time. It is fleeting. May we live each moment with grace, and gladness that we were together with those we treasure today.

1 comment:

  1. Pamir | Reiki Help Blog said...

    No matter how true spiritual realities are, death is sad & needs proper honoring.

    Keep holding space for this family. Their grief will be helped by it. And take care of yourself.
    February 28, 2009 8:51 PM
    summy said...

    I am so sorry. Everyone hold your family & especially kids a little tighter tonight.
    February 28, 2009 9:11 PM
    Runa said...

    Even if death is a divine contract, we humans get to experience the feelings of grief, loss, sadness. And as Pamir said, needs proper honoring. It also shows us what is important to us...life. And perhaps our priorities change a little as a result.

    ReplyDelete