Monday, September 14, 2009

The Rolodex Brain 2-27-09

I can't believe the end of February is closing in. Isn't it odd how time traps us, keeps us pointed in one direction? Days go by achingly slow one week, and then the next it zooms by. People in the workforce look forward to Friday every week. Before you know it, your in a new month. Months go by, then seasons, a birthday gives you another digit to add onto your repotoire, a year flies by. Did you live fully?

How are we accountable to our time here on earth? Each day is a gift, yes? Then why do we race through the days of the week to get to the weekend, instead of savoring our moments? The weekend never seems long enough, and so we start all over.

Is this living in the present moment? In Eckhert Tolle's Book: A New Earth, Tolle talks about being present in a single moment. Such as when your walking, try only to think about taking that next step. Not to where your going, or how far you have walked, but that single step is all that matters. I have tried it, and it turns into a walking meditation for me. Its wonderful. Yet, at the same time, I have to struggle with the monkey mind, not to think about anything else. My mind spins sometimes so fast, I feel akin to a twirling rolodex, the cards are my thoughts... Next thought... next card.

Last night we were discussing school with my oldest boy, and let him know that he has roughly 12 weeks of school left. 12 weeks is 3 months. 12 weeks is 60 school days. He has 60 school days to get himself into gear and figure out if school means enough to him to work at his grades and try to bring them up to passing. He has to figure out quickly whether or not The principal and I are bluffing, or if we will make good on our threat to hold him back next year to repeat his grade. He has to make the decision as to whether or not he is capable to actually do his stuff. I wonder if he really identifies with time. Does he see what we see? Does he see his future the way we do? Does any of this harping on him actually even phase him? Does time apply to him in his world? I have no idea. What is important to him is not school, or his grades, or his ability to land a decent job when he is out of highschool or college. No, what is important to my child is the latest cell phone that he wants, the newest PSP game, the coolest television show, a video on you tube.
I however DO think in the back of him mind he does think about school. I do think he wants to succeed. I also think that he doesn't want to do the work to get there. He wants it handed to him.

This must be my fault. Is it society's too? Is it the generation? Do we cater to our children, giving them mixed signals of what we expect, and then lowering the bar if they don't meet it?

My husbands boss stated that he was irritated at the fact tht we, as parents (in general, not particularly US) cater to our youth. Kids that are involved with scouts, dance, etc, that have fundraisers. Do we let them go door to door with their goods asking random neighbors if they want to support the scouts? Or do we help them out by taking the order forms into our offices, and asking fellow employees to help out our child's cause? I am guilty. The latter applies to me. Why? Because it feels safer. Because it's easier. But is it wrong? Did my child work for it?

So yeah this is a random post. Like the rolodex, my mind goes from one topic to another, in a seamless fashion. Its facinating, actually to think about how our mind operates, how it jumps from one thing to another, yet can tie it all together. Maybe its my recent lack of meditation. I haven't taken time for myself in months. I am swamped. Between work, family,and school, I feel like there is no time for just me. I need to pay attention to others who so clearly set the example.

One of my girlfriends recently attended a woman's circle where she surrounded herself with like minded women who were there to enjoy each others company, be soulful, laugh, and she made bath salts. She promptly went home and used them. She pampered herself, because she knows that its important.

Anyway, I hope that this closing of February finds you introspective as well. That you are contemplating what is important to you. That you take time to quiet your mind, and sit with yourself. That you just breathe, and be ok this single moment. Thanks for sharing your moments with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment