Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mama Gaia is in tears


Photograph by Michael Nolan

I saw this picture today, and it really struck me. We look at Global Warming, and its becoming such an everyday phrase. It seems that more and more people understand the need to do whatever it takes to protect our planet, but we aren't all united in this act. Countries all over the world are 10 times worse that we in America. They don't have the resources or the know how to make the changes. For them, it comes down to money, which they don't have and desperately need.
Here in our own country, we get it, we understand it, but not everyone is willing to step it up and be conscious. There are some conservatives that don't even believe that this is really Global Warming. That instead its the evolution of a planet, that its a life cycle.

Here in my own city, Pittsburgh. I cringe every time I see people throwing paper away. Throwing recyclables IN THE GARBAGE. It's everywhere. The city has free recycling for its residents, yet they aren't utilizing it to its true potential.
Here in the outskirts, we are JUST now starting to use recycling in more depth.
But it's not JUST recycling. It's the cars that we use. Its the toxins that our countries put into the atmosphere. Its just. ..Everything.

So when I saw this photo this morning, I realized how very perfect it is to see the face of Mother Gaia crying in a receding Ice shelf.
It's devastating.

1 comment:

  1. I love this photo too and have it scheduled as a post on my blog. I saw it on a blog I follow that is from Norway (www.rroffemixblogspot.com) The photo says it all. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete