Monday, September 14, 2009

Tis The Season 12-11-08

My kids are getting wound up. They know Christmas is around the corner. All this consumerism drives me bananas. Kids all over America are getting a bad case of the "Gimmees", and the "I want that!"
I am really hoping to instill what Christmas means to me inside of them, so they are at least aware of the Spiritual aspect.
Mr. Hubby quipped "Jesus is the reason for the season!" the other day. I quietly nodded my head.

What is Christmas? Why has it turned into something I don't even want to be a part of? There is this sense of desperation everywhere I go. In my office I over hear stories: "I got this at Saks! It was 50% of of the half off sale! Guess how much?? It was $575, and I got this sweater for $103!!" OR "I will spend at least $2000.00 on my family this year." Are you serious?

To me Christmas is about so much more than gifts. Its about Spirit. People taking down the barriers, and opening up their hearts to others. Its giving of themselves. I am not talking about gifts, people. I am talking about services, listening, caring. I am talking about being reverent and remembering that we are spiritual beings having a human existence. To honor the season, to be joyful, and heartfelt.
In many cultures, people celebrate the Winter Solstice. The first day of Winter. The longest night of the year. People dance, and sing, and burn a fire all night long. They are joyful, and enjoy each others company. This is what the holiday season is about to me. To share time and love with each other, to laugh, and watch the children play.
Yes, of course I shop too. I buy my kids presents, and I play the Santa game. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt to find that perfect gift. But honestly, My hubby and I both make sure that our gifts are full of heart felt meaning to each and every person that we gift to. We also try to make sure that my children understand the heart of the season.
I don't have a community to really belong to yet this second holiday season here in Pittsburgh. I don't have holiday parties to go to of friends. I don't have fellowship, or love of close friends close by. I do however try hard to find the silver lining of why Spirit has placed me here in this place. Its to reach deeper into myself. To center myself in the truth of love. To RE-Member all the gifts I have within myself, and those of my children and Mr. Wonderhubby. To stand as an example of light to those who only see the darkness that the holidays can sometimes bring.

I would really like to expand my season this year by volunteering, and showing my kids just how good they have it. I would like to show my co workers just how wonderful a heart felt, home made gift can be.
I don't know, maybe I have no clue what I am saying, maybe the words aren't coming out the way I intended. But I do know that Christmas has taken a drastic turn off the originated path, and has veered into rush hour traffic. Maybe if we all get those airport signal lights and tried to redirect Christmas back to where it supposed to be, maybe others begin to understand.

Or maybe this is supposed to happen to create something new out of What Christmas USED to be. Maybe its supposed to change. Maybe its supposed to be this way to find something entirely new that works.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment