Monday, September 14, 2009

I walked the Plank 04-23-2009


F.I.R.E.D = Freedom, Invitation to Renew, Explore, and Decide a new way.

This week the company I worked for fired me. They made me walk the plank. I didn't struggle. I didn't resist, I walked with my head held high, and I jumped. I jumped right into the blue ocean. Thank God I know how to swim!


Thing is, I knew. I knew it was coming. For 6 months. I have been stressing about it. For 6 months I have been the most stressed out person that I couldn't even recognize anymore. I had been sending out resumes for 6 months. I was desperate to find something else while I knew the clock was ticking precious minutes away. No luck. Stupid Recession.

In my exit interview, I could have said so many things that I wanted to say. It was my chance! I had actually rehearsed everything I would have liked to tell not only the president of the company, but the woman who held my employment in her hands. Of course, when I got to the point where I was asked if I had anything to say, I said a few things, but for the most part I just shook my head, and said meekly, "Thank you". WIMP!
I was shaking. I wanted to cry. But I didn't. Not until one of my sweet former coworkers hugged me and said that she would miss me.


Needless to say, I feel bad for my ex manager. My wish for her is that one day she will receive a gift of a lesson that will teach her a new way to be. An opening of her eyes, and her heart. To become awake to her own positive abilities, and opportunities. To be aware of others, and for compassion to flood her soul. She thinks she is already there. I know she wants to be there. I don't know if it will ever happen.

She had the gall to say that I wasn't conscious. Then she said that she meant conscientious. Freudian slip? I think she really feels this way. To me she is wrong on both accounts, but in her reality, well, I guess I was an incompetent fool, like she thought I was. It was very apparent that she couldn't stand me, didn't like, me and finally couldn't tolerate me.

This is all OK. I realize that I have many gifts to offer that she doesn't. I may not be accounting savvy, or detail oriented the way she expected me to be, but I am excellent with people. I have emotional intelligence, (Leaders that use Emotional Intelligence tend to focus on their employees, and lead with their heart as opposed to leading with their head all the time. They are able to understand their employee’s emotional needs and contribute effectively to accomplish goals using wisdom, creativity, and staying motivated) and I am not afraid to use it to better the people I am around, as well as myself. I would much rather have those skills any day! So in closing, I send prayers to the employees of my ex company. I send wisdom to the leaders. I send compassion to the directors, and I send Love to my friends that I enjoyed working with. Some of those employees were a wonderful bunch of peeps, and I will miss them greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment