Monday, September 14, 2009

In the Line of Duty 04-08-09

Right now there is a memorial service that is happening right outside my office window. I am 15 stories off the ground, and right next door to the city county building.
A few days ago three police officers were killed in the line of duty. It was a senseless killing, and devastated the entire city. We as a collective unit are reeling. Here is the Story

To watch from so high up, as the sound of bag pipes fill the air, chilling down your spine. To watch as the entire street is filled with the limos that hold all the families of the three that are no longer with us. To watch as the three caskets with the American flag are draped over them, and see them carried into the building. To watch as every police officer in full regalia stands at attention along the steps, and in a line for several blocks, waiting to pay their respects. To feel the heaviness, the silent pall. To feel the tears flow down my cheeks as I stand there at my window watching this all happen. Again, it is devastating.

We ask ourselves, WHY?
The fallen officers were sons, fathers, brothers, uncles, husbands and friends. They were loved by many. They protected the people. They served the city.

The man that did this believed in conspiracy. He thought they were out to get him. He never even gave an opportunity for a peaceful conclusion to occur. He was in defense. The senseless part of the entire thing was that had he not shot the officers, everything could have worked out amicably.

So I sit here in wonderment. My brain just doesn't compute. I don't understand.
I have compassion. I have empathy. There is simply nothing left to do but love.

I send out prayers to the fallen officers. May their journey to the other side be swift. I send out prayers to the families of the officers. May they be comforted in their time of mourning. May they know they are supported by the entire world. May they be wrapped in love. I send out prayers to the family of the man who committed this crime. May they too be comforted as they try to make sense of this, as they feel the pain and the guilt of what their son/brother/cousin did. May they know it is not their fault, and may they find peace. Finally, I send out prayers to the man that committed this horrible act. May he truly see the giant ripple he caused in the world. May he be healed from the sickness that is inside of him. May he feel the compassion, and the empathy and be transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment