Monday, September 14, 2009

Do you Realize? 01-01-09

"Do you realize," sings Gretchen Lieberum, "that you have the most beautiful face? That we're floating in space? That happiness makes you cry?" So begins this hauntingly beautiful cover of a 2002 song by the Flaming Lips that I received on my Karma Tube this morning.

Do you realize?
The other day, Glenn and I were talking together, discussing our childhood. We were talking about how our respective parents struggled through adverse financial conditions, and yet managed to make the most of their lives. Through those hardships, that we were witness to, we have learned to be grateful. How we are so blessed. How much we DON'T take for granted. That what really matters is HOW you live your life.
This video that you watch below my ramblings, touched me deeply. It made me realize how much our society ignores what is really important. The relationships. How beautiful each one of us truly are. We forget about our own natural beauty, our own ability to LOVE. When we are offered to recognize it, we are humbled. We excuse it, we are not allowed to have that ego and say, "Your right! I am Beautiful"

Life isn't supposed to be about climbing the corporate ladder. Its not about WHAT you wear, or what you have as a monetary possession. Instead I see it everyday... Children growing up wanting the big ticket items (Its ok I think we all do) Some of us go to College to give ourselves a better opportunity to make more money (I did), and we are most always determined to do better financially than out parents did. (This, I believe is wonderful.. except when the greed takes over and we live above our means) Some of us hook up with people that will take us places.. including marrying to forge a financial partnership instead of for absolute love... because we feel that it is the right thing to do for our future. We subscribe and believe the media that to be successful we have to wear the right clothes, drive the nice car, live in the right neighborhood, and For Goodness sakes we must look sexy and gorgeous with all the consumer products that are available.


I was reading a beautiful and sweet Blog by my sweet friend ; Orange Blossom . She wrote about the Tao of Binks. She recognized that we , as a society are in it to win it corporately and monetarily. We simply forget to be happy in the moment. To be grateful for the fresh air, for someone's smile that warms our hearts, and for the love and joy that we can give to one another, and most importantly, to ourselves.

In a book I read last year and TOTALLY loved; "Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert, she writes about balance. Of having it all. " I wanted worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence- the dual glories of human life. I wanted what the Greeks called Kalos Kai Agathos, the singular balance of the good and the beautiful... Both pleasure and devotion require a stress-free space in which to flourish and I'd been living in a giant trash compactor of non stop anxiety...."

Ah. Currently I am reading a book titled Broken Open, written by Elizabeth Lesser. Its about emerging from suffering and challenge with real, encompassing wisdom and love. It was calling my name as I walked down the aisle of books. I didn't know that I needed to read it. But apparently I do. Realizations are happening everywhere. I listened to the lyrics of this song, about 5 times before I decided to share it with you. Read them:


Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize - we're floating in space -
Do You Realize - that happiness makes you cry
Do You Realize - that everyone you know someday will die

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

So I ask you... DO you realize? That you have the most beautiful face?






No comments:

Post a Comment