Monday, September 14, 2009

Making a choice 05-08-09



Last night, Hubby and I watched Michael J. Fox's documentary : "The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist".
Watching it made us both introspective. It made us both soft, and quiet, and even a little bit tender. It was a lovely story, and of course being the bibliophile that I am, made me want to purchase his book.

We learned all about a country called Bhutan, the happiest place on earth. We decided we seriously had to go there. The King of Bhutan declared that the Gross National Happiness was more important than Gross National Product. How amazing would it be if all the countries lived this way? If all nations leaders decided that this was a better way to live? A Bhutanese hotel owner defined it as "knowing your limitation; knowing how much is enough" (Rose, 2008).

Micheal J. Fox has Parkinson's disease. He is getting worse. He can't control his movements, and the disease is slowly wrapping him up in its clenched fist. But yet, his spirit is still strong. He still believes in being optimistic. Nothing brings him down.
An incurable optimistic. Someone that chooses every single day to find the positive in every situation. Someone that sees the silver lining, the glass as half full, the sunshine through the clouds, the light at the end of the tunnel.

I personally live with an incurable optimistic. My hubby sees the good in everything. He "chooses" to make every day a good day. He says its a choice. He teaches that to all of us, every single day. He accepts things, feels them, and then releases them. He doesn't hold onto things, he says its not productive. He just "Is". He is such a great teacher for me.

It is a gift to be connected to an optimistic person. You can't help but let it rub off on you.

Since I have been not working, I have been taking time to recenter myself. I am going through a detox for the healing of my inside. I am listening to the wisdom of wise teachers, and reading inspirational stories. I am exercising for an hour daily, and coming back to who I know I am.

The other day I was listening to Tony Robbins, and he made a statement that really struck my heart chords. He said "If you don't do what you absolutely LOVE, and have a passion for, then don't do it! Only do what makes your heart say YES!"

Remember when you were little, and you had dreams of what you wanted to be when you grew up? The world was wide open at your feet. Nothing was impossible. You knew you could be an astronaut, or a broadway star. Who ever thought that they would end up being a Human Resources Manager?
What do you love? What would you do if you could go back and try something new? I look at what I love to do. I love photography. I love writing. I love helping people, and making people happy. I love teaching.
I have been looking at teaching classes for a long time. Both for women, and reconnecting them to their soul and souls purpose in a series of wisdom classes, as well as children and empowerment. I have studied a course for a long time called Non-Violent Communication taught by Marshall Rosenberg. I have been considering getting training with it, and facilitating classes in the school system for kids and educators with NVC. We recently received a letter from our school principal discussing the need for the students to be more kind. Maybe this would help.
A friend of mine, Larry, has been gently nudging me to do a spiritual Sunday service. to give a talk as the minister that I am, and speak to a group of people. OY! I don't know that I am ready for this, but I feel my feet tiptoeing towards it. How would that look like? What would I say? How would I touch the hearts of the people I am speaking to? Lots to think about.

I don't want to be stuck in a rut ever again. I don't want to work in a company that only sees the bottom line and does not take into account the employees. So I will choose not to.

Speaking of choosing, this song came into my email this morning, and it was the push that I needed to blog today.
I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment