Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Paying attention

Yesterday, I took a walk with Bodhi, and the world in my little neighborhood was quiet. What was interesting for me, was that I was able to take in so many things, little tiny details that makes life what it is. There is so much appreciation, and I was able to really honor all of it.

The sound of the trees with the leaves drying out, and crackling up against each other. The green ones waving to me. The leaves that I stepped on, on the ground that crunched under my feet. The bumblebees still flitting from flower to flower grabbing as much nectar as they can before the flowers die.

The snap of the random flags flying over people's houses in the breeze. The sunlight shining down making my eyes squint because I had forgotten my glasses. The smells of the Earth, of the greenery, of the fabric softener from someones dryer vent.

The different birds chirping on the wires, above me, on the trees, flying through the air. the chipmunk scampering across the street into the bushes for safety. the Baby Hawk that loves to sit near my house, and speak its song.

I really enjoyed this small moment. Every little piece that makes our world hum. And this morning, as I let Bodhi out to go to do his morning ritual, I stood on the deck before dawn and saw the crescent moon and the Bright North Star shining together, like two friends holding court over our world. Looking up, I saw all the stars, and as I looked around I saw all of us, as these tiny inhabitants on this massive world.
I said my morning prayer, giving thanks to the One Above, and all around, and stood there, shivering in the early morning air.

Later, I kept an eye on the sunrise, and tried to capture the beauty on my camera. The camera just doesn't do it justice.

I am so blessed. Amidst all the chaos, as fast as my life spins, I was able to take a moment in the stillness, and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment